By Steve Leibson
Processor cores for SOC designs may be way more plastic than microprocessor ICs for board-level method designs. Shaping those cores for particular purposes produces far better processor potency and masses reduce process clock premiums. jointly, Tensilica’s Xtensa and Diamond processor cores represent a relations of software-compatible microprocessors masking a really large functionality variety from uncomplicated keep an eye on processors, to DSPs, to 3-way superscalar processors. but all of those processors use an identical software-development instruments in order that programmers conversant in one processor within the family members can simply swap to another.
This ebook emphasizes a processor-centric MPSOC (multiple-processor SOC) layout variety formed via the realities of the 21st-century and nanometer silicon. It advocates the task of initiatives to firmware-controlled processors at any time when attainable to maximise SOC flexibility, minimize strength dissipation, decrease the dimensions and variety of hand-built common sense blocks, lower the linked verification attempt, and reduce the final layout risk.
· a necessary, no-nonsense advisor to the layout of 21st-century mega-gate SOCs utilizing nanometer silicon.
· Discusses latest key matters affecting SOC layout, in keeping with author's a long time of private event in constructing huge electronic platforms as a layout engineer whereas operating at Hewlett-Packard's computing device laptop department and at EDA computing device pioneer Cadnetix, and masking such issues as an award-winning expertise journalist and editor-in-chief for EDN journal and the Microprocessor Report.
· Explores conventionally authorized barriers and perceived limits of processor-based process layout after which explodes those synthetic constraints via a clean outlook on and dialogue of the targeted skills of processor cores designed in particular for SOC design.
· Thorough exploration of the evolution of processors and processor cores used for ASIC and SOC layout with a glance at the place the has come from, and the place it is going.
· Easy-to-understand causes of the functions of configurable and extensible processor cores via a close exam of Tensilica's configurable, extensible Xtensa processor middle and 6 pre-configured Diamond cores.
· the main complete review on hand of the sensible features of configuring and utilizing a number of processor cores to accomplish very tough and bold SOC fee, functionality, and tool layout goals.
Read Online or Download Designing SOCs with Configured Cores: Unleashing the Tensilica Xtensa and Diamond Cores (Systems on Silicon) PDF
Similar systems architecture books
The aim of large-scale software program structure is to trap and describe sensible representations to make improvement groups greater. during this booklet the authors convey the right way to utilise software program structure as a device to steer the improvement rather than taking pictures the architectural info finally the layout judgements were made.
Microprocessor cores used for SOC layout are the direct descendents of Intel’s unique 4004 microprocessor. simply as packaged microprocessor ICs range broadly of their attributes, so do microprocessors packaged as IP cores. notwithstanding, SOC designers nonetheless evaluate and choose processor cores the best way they formerly in comparison and chosen packaged microprocessor ICs.
Method management is ready the layout, operating and upkeep of human-computer platforms. Examples of human-computer structures comprise enterprise businesses, provider associations and any huge equipment that's operated by means of, or interacts with humans. method management is usually considered the technological facet of a procedure: the structure, development and optimization of the taking part elements, however it additionally sometimes touches on softer components equivalent to consumer suggestions (help desks), moral issues in deploying a process, and the bigger implications of its layout for others who come into touch with it.
Micro and nanosystems signify an immense medical and technological problem, with real and capability functions in just about all fields of the human task. the purpose of the current publication is to provide how recommendations from dynamical regulate platforms (modeling, estimation, commentary, id, suggestions keep an eye on) should be tailored and utilized to the advance of unique very small-scale platforms and in their human interfaces.
- Reliability and Failure of Electronic Materials and Devices
- Scalable Shared Memory Multiprocessors: Volume 124
- High Performance Parallelism Pearls Volume Two: Multicore and Many-core Programming Approaches
Extra resources for Designing SOCs with Configured Cores: Unleashing the Tensilica Xtensa and Diamond Cores (Systems on Silicon)
Designing SOCs with Configured Cores: Unleashing the Tensilica Xtensa and Diamond Cores (Systems on Silicon) by Steve Leibson